- Sleeps:12 (including children and babies).
- Bedrooms:8 (7 doubles, 1 twin)
- Bath/Shower Rooms:7 (2 bathrooms, 6 shower-rooms)
- Rents per week:£5080 to £8,100
- Key features:Beautiful garden and orchard
Garden bedrooms with private access
Infinity pool and paddling pool
Well-equipped pool house
Join the newsletter
By signing up to our email newsletter, you agree to Anglo French Properties Ltd sending you an approximately quarterly newsletter, and where applicable current offers/promotions. Your email data will be shared with our 3rd party email marketing provider for this purpose
Le Vieux Manoir
Le Vieux Manoir is a spacious Provençal country house, dating from the 17th century, with lots of different living areas, including two separate terraces. It has been converted, decorated and equipped to the highest standards, and sleeps 12 in great comfort (including children and babies).
"We had a very relaxing week at Le Vieux Manoir, thoroughly enjoying its peaceful location and spectacular views of the surrounding countryside and Mont Ventoux. The house is spacious, well equipped and extremely comfortable, easily accommodating two families. The gardens, terrace and pool area are all fabulous and the delightful village of Bonnieux is a short drive away and within walking/running distance for the more energetic! The village provides all amenities and some excellent restaurants notably L'Arôme and Le Fournil. Our week went far too quickly and just wasn't long enough - we'd all love to go back!"
Henrietta Bevan, Hampshire, England
"Le Vieux Manoir is a charming and spacious old farmhouse which has been tastefully restored and furnished in luxurious Provencal style. The setting in an open and beautiful quiet valley makes for wonderful views especially at sunset.Our greeting from the letting agent was welcoming, and she was most attentive. We were struck by the willingness of the owners to entrust us with their books, maps and even their larder, whilst the kitchen was very well equipped. The owners also shared their children's toys, and made available a first-rate cot and a high chair for the youngest member of our party.
Both the recommended local cooks provided very French dinners of a high standard on 3 nights. The courtyard and sheltered BBQ area lend themselves to a relaxing outdoor life, and the pool is large, private and surrounded by attractive lawns and orchards.The nearby historic villages were interesting to visit, and it was fun to stroll along the local lanes. All in all, a most enjoyable way to spend a week with a family of 3 generations."
Penny McKee, Edinburgh, Scotland
Le Vieux Manoir is south-facing and comprises 4 double bedrooms in the main house plus a further 4 bedrooms which have direct access from the garden or from a terrace for greater individual privacy. All 7 bedrooms have their own bathrooms or shower-rooms.
- Entrance Hall – an impressive wooden front door opens into the stone-walled Hall. The ground floor rooms are tiled throughout.
- Dining Room – with a beamed ceiling and table seating 14. Stairs ascend from the dining room to the first floor.
- Breakfast area - with a table seating 6.
- Kitchen - very well-appointed and equipped, including a cooker with 4 gas hobs, a gas hot plate and 2 ovens, a large fridge/freezer; a dishwasher, blender, nespresso machine, electric kettle, toaster etc.; a portable stereo radio & C.D. player.
- Larder - with a second fridge/freezer, a microwave etc.
- Sitting Room – formerly 2 separate rooms and very spacious, with a beamed ceiling and several comfortable sofas.
- TV Room - with a giant satellite TV, huge sofas, a CD and a DVD player.
- Shower Room 1 - with a W.C. and a wash-basin.
- Utility Room - with 2 washing machines and 2 separate driers, an iron and an ironing board.
- Dining Terrace - French doors from the dining room, breakfast area and the sitting room open onto the covered terrace, with a table seating 12 (can seat 14) plus sofas and armchairs, and a gas-fired Weber barbecue.
- Bedroom 1(Master Bedroom) – air conditioned, with a 6’ double bed, beamed ceiling, windows looking west and south. The ensuite (Bathroom 1) has a bath, a walk-in shower and double wash basins.
- Bedroom 2 – air conditioned, with a 5’6” double bed, beamed ceiling and windows looking north. The ensuite (Shower Room 2) has a walk-in shower and a W.C.
- Bedroom 3 – air conditioned, with a 6' double bed, beamed ceiling and windows looking north and south. The ensuite (Bathroom 2) has a bath, a walk-in shower, and double wash basins. A walk-in wardrobe leads to a separate W.C.
- Bedroom 4 - with a 5'6" double bed.
- Ensuite Shower Room 3 – with a separate W.C.
Terrace / garden rooms:
- Bedroom 5 – accessed by a staircase from the terrace to the left of the front door. A small sitting room and separate WC are located on its lower floor. Upstairs is a 5’6" double bed with windows looking east and North, plus Shower Room 4.
- Bedroom 6 – accessed from a staircase leading from the terrace to the garden and comprising two 3’ single beds, windows facing south and east, plus Shower Room 5 with a walk-in shower, a wash basin and a W.C.
- Bedroom 7 – on the first floor of bedroom 6, with a 5’6” double bed and windows facing south.
- Bedroom 8 – accessed from a separate outside staircase on the south side of the house and comprising a 5’6” double bed and windows on its west and north sides. The ensuite (Shower Room 6) has a walk-in shower, a wash basin and a separate W.C.
Garden & Grounds
GARDEN & GROUNDS
Le Vieux Manoir is situated in 8 hectares (20 acres) of grounds, surrounded by vineyards, a lavender field and orchards with cherry, fig, pear, peach, apple and plum trees. (Tenants are encouraged to pick the fruit in season). Its large, well-maintained and most attractive garden is a particular feature.
Electronically-controlled entrance gates open from a quiet country lane into the 100-metre, tree-lined drive which leads to the north side of the house, where there is ample parking space. On one side of the drive is a lavender field, whilst a high, dense hedge shields the property from the quiet lane on its other side. The drive is bordered by lawns, and the centre of the turning circle in front of the house features an ancient olive tree.
All round the house are shady trees of many varieties, as well as hedges separating the terraced lawns on its south side. Beyond the property is a vineyard, also owned by the Manoir.
The filtered, heated, floodlit, infinity swimming pool measures 15 x 6.8 metres, with a depth of 1 metre at its shallow end (with steps), and 2 metres at its far end. Around the pool are 12 sunbeds and some small tables.
Adjacent to the swimming pool is a cascading ornamental paddling pool (with steps), measuring 6.8 x 3.2 metres, with an overall depth of 50 cms.
The pool area is fenced and gated, with child locks. There's a 2-storey pool house on one side which has an awning shading a large table, seating up to 12. The pool house includes, on the Ground Floor, a 2-hob electric cooker, a fridge, a dishwasher and a sink, plus a hot and cold water outside shower and a separate W.C. There's a Weber gas-fired barbecue.
There's a table tennis table (with a net, bats and balls) which can be set up in the garden.
There are a choice of terraces for relaxing and eating al fresco.
Le Vieux Manoir is situated in a peaceful valley in the heart of the Luberon - one of Provence’s most stunning regions.
The house lies at the foot of the enchanting Provençal village of Bonnieux (5 kms) which has very reasonable shopping and some good restaurants. The town of Apt (9 kms) has an even greater variety of shops, plus some large supermarkets and a hospital.
On a hill, an exceptional view from the house, in the middle distance stands the village of Lacoste, dominated by its medieval castle, which was the stronghold of the notoriously wicked Marquis de Sade.
The closest airports are Avignon (45 minutes) which has some international flights, and the major international airport of Marseilles/Marignane (75 minutes). Nîmes (with some international flights) is 90 minutes.
The nearest access to the autoroute is at Cavaillon (30 minutes), whilst the superfast train, the TGV, stops at Avignon, and connects with Nice, Paris and Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport.
The property is managed by Sally-Ann Richmond whose contact details are in the House Manual.
- Tenants will be welcomed on arrival and will be shown how everything works, both inside and outside.
- Two cleaners are employed by the owner, each for 3 hours per day on 2 mid-week days per week, as well as for changing bed linen and bath and pool towels every Saturday. Any additional days/hours of work should be agreed by tenants with the cleaners, and paid direct to them at the rate of €18 per hour and paid direct to the property manager.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided free of charge.
- Garden and pool maintenance are paid for by the owner.
- As long as sufficient notice is given, a cook and/or a baby-sitter can be found. His/her/their wage will be tenants’ responsibility and, if requested, can be ascertained prior to the commencement of the tenancy.
- There are telephones throughout the house, and local calls are free of charge. The cost of all other calls will be deducted from the tenants’ Booking and Security Deposit (see Rent & Terms).
- There’s Broadband/WiFi internet access throughout the house. Whilst being very reliable, as with all rural properties access cannot be guaranteed.
- There are hair-dryers in every bedroom, and standing fans in all the bedrooms which are not air conditioned.
- There are 2 cots (with bedding), and 2 high chairs.
- The house is heated and cooled by an underfloor geothermal heating system keeping the house fresh and cool in the summer months and warm in the winter months.
- There are English-language books, plus playing cards and board games. There are also a number of CD’s and DVD’s.
- There’s a set of ‘boules’. The best place to play is on the gravel on the south side of the House but there are numerous choices!
- The house manual is very detailed, and apart from describing how everything works (both inside and outside), it lists the contact details of a doctor, a dentist and a hairdresser as well as various other useful numbers.
Things to See & Do near Le Vieux Manoir
THINGS TO SEE & DO
The house manual also contains a great deal of useful information including where and when the local markets take place, details of supermarkets and shops selling Provençal products (fabrics, pottery, lavender and honey spring to mind), plus recommended restaurants in various price categories etc. It also includes details of the main things to see and do in the area, including the following:
- Walking in the surrounding National Parks – this is spectacular walking country.
- Booking the tennis courts in nearby Bonnieux.
- The nearest 18-hole golf course, the Provence Country Club, at Saumane-de-Vaucluse.
- A nearby riding stable, where lessons can be booked and trekking can be arranged through the surrounding countryside.
- Canoeing, kayaking, dinghy sailing and rafting on the local rivers. The nearest point-of-hire is probably at L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on the Sorgue river (20 minutes).
- Bicycles can be hired in Bonnieux. The shop also provides battery-assisted bikes (which are excellent for the hills of the Luberon!) as well as details of recommended routes.
- The spectacular Gorges du Verdon, Europe's Grand Canyon, offering adventure activities of many kinds.
- The vineyards which abound in the region, with many offering tours, tastings and on-the-spot purchases.
- The stunning and hugely photogenic small towns and villages in the surrounding area - Bonnieux, Saignon, Vaugines (where the legendary "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources" were filmed), Lourmarin, Ansouis, Apt, Roussillon, L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, Ménerbes and Gordes to name just a few.
- Aix-en-Provence and Avignon - two of the region’s most interesting historic cities and cultural centres. There are distinguished music festivals in both cities, as well as in Orange.
- The numerous chateaux, abbeys, churches, gardens, art galleries, museums and archeological sites that are well worth a visit, as well as the many cultural and sporting events taking place in the surrounding area.
- The local children's zoos and adventure playgrounds.
- The grottoes and caves, many of them exhibiting features of their fascinating pre-historic past.
- Flying, ballooning and paragliding over the spectacular local countryside.
- The nearest Mediterranean beaches are in the "calanques" (coves) to the west of Cassis, as well as the larger beaches east of this small coastal town, several of which have windsurfing, waterskiing and sailing facilities. Cassis also has some good seafood restaurants.
- The abundant lavender farms and honey-producers.
Rents & Terms
2019 RENTS & TERMS PER WEEK
January - April 27 £5,080
April 27 - June 1 £5,250
June 1 - June 29 £6,230
June 29 - August 31 £8,100
August 31 - September 28 £5,790
September 28 - December 21 £5,080
December 21 - January 4 2020 £5,790
All above dates are a Saturday.
Except by prior arrangement, all tenancies will be for a minimum of 1 week, and will begin and end on a Saturday.
Tenants should arrive as soon as possible after 5 pm on the commencement day, and must leave before 10am on the agreed day of departure. They will be greeted on arrival, and given the code (and a 'fob') to open the entrance gates.
A deposit of 25% of the rent will be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the Rental Agreement, with the 75% balance to be paid 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the tenancy.
A Booking and Security Deposit of £890 will also be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the Rental Agreement. This will secure the booking, and will cover the cost of (a) calls (other than local ones) made during the tenancy on the house telephone, (b) replacing/making good any losses, breakages and/or damages incurred during the rental, (c) any exceptional cleaning work which may be required at the end of the tenancy. This Deposit will be refunded (less any deductions as outlined above) within 4 weeks of the tenancy’s conclusion.
Unless otherwise agreed, there should not be more than 12 people staying at “Le Vieux Manoir” at any one time, including children and babies.
The owner’s insurance policy requires that all windows are closed, and that all outside doors are locked when tenants are away from the property.
South West France, Provence and the Cote d'Azur
Our luxury Villas and Châteaux in South West France, set in stunning and tranquil locations, turn the dream of "get away from it all" holidays into a reality.
For luxury Villa holidays in Provence, our selection comprises charming properties surrounded by the stunning scenery of the Luberon and Var.
For a multi-faceted holiday in the South of France, our luxury Côte d’Azur Villas are within easy reach of fabulous beaches, Monte Carlo, Nice, Antibes and Cannes, and the many other attractions of this famous coastline.