- Sleeps: 6
- Bedrooms: 1 king size, 1 twin room, 1 studio room
- Bath/Shower Rooms: 2 bathrooms, 2 shower rooms
- Rent per week: £2,150 - £2,470 per week
- Key features: Main House and Studio Cottage
Air-conditioned Master Bedroom and Bedroom 2
9 x 3 metre pool
8 kms from Nice
Join the newsletter
By signing up to our email newsletter, you agree to Anglo French Properties Ltd sending you an approximately quarterly newsletter, and where applicable current offers/promotions. Your email data will be shared with our 3rd party email marketing provider for this purpose
La Marmotte is a charming Villa with a pool, set in a beautiful and very private garden in a highly sought-after location on the Côte d’Azur. The Villa is just below the hilltop village of St Paul de Vence and only 8kms from the cultural attractions of Nice on this, arguably the most glittering and glamorous stretch of the Mediterranean coast.
"We really fell in love with the Côte d’Azur, and very much so with La Marmotte. We hope to visit this charming villa again very soon. The service provided by you as the rental agent, and by Katherina (the caretaker/cleaner) was wonderful, and your attention to the details of our vacation was greatly appreciated. I'll consult your company again, and recommend you to friends. (I already have!)."
Debra McKenney, Cherry Hills Village, Colorado, USA
"We loved La Marmotte, and had such a wonderful time. And as for the caretaker/cleaner, Katherina - the owner is extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated employee who truly goes the extra mile. By the time we left, we considered her to be not so much a caretaker, but more a friend for life! She helped us in so many ways which, added together, made our stay very special.
We shall miss Marmotte (we think of it with such fondness and a strange sense of home), and hope to return soon - we've already written about it to friends here in California".
Mike Zaidlin and Deborah Dunning, Mill Valley, California, USA.
" We are having a lovely time at "La Marmotte". The villa is beautiful - all we could wish for, and Katherina, the caretaker, and her husband, the gardener and pool maintenance man, were really so welcoming. I am just waiting for my other daughter and her children to arrive. I expect they will be straight into the delicious warm pool!. With many thanks and best wishes".
Felicity Bailey, Kent, England.
La Marmotte is a charming, very private and superbly appointed Villa, comprising a single storey Main House and a Studio Cottage about 10 metres away. Although there are other houses nearby, the Villa is totally secluded and very peaceful, especially at night.
Electronically-operated entrance gates open into the parking area, with an open-fronted garage for one car and space for 2 or 3 others. A short path then descends to the north-facing front door of the Villa. To the left is the entrance to the basement where there is a washer/dryer, a stack of firewood, storage space, gardening and other tools.
The Main House:
- Entrance hall - with a fitted cupboard storing an ironing board, iron, vacuum cleaner, etc. This leads to the light and airy open-plan sitting room/dining area/kitchen.
- Sitting room - with windows facing south and east, comfortable sofas and armchairs, a large, attractive wood-burning fireplace, satellite TV (receiving English-language channels), video, DVD and CD players, plus a good selection of CDs and some videos. There are English-language books, magazines and a number of board games.
- Dining area – with a table seating 8 and French doors onto a south facing dining terrace with a round table, 8 wicker chairs and a retractable sun shade.
- Kitchen – spacious, modern and well-equipped with a 4-ring electric hob, an oven, microwave, 2 fridges, a deep-freeze, dishwasher, coffee machine, etc.
- Separate Shower Room 1.
- Bedroom 1 - the air-conditioned Master Bedroom with a king-size canopied bed which can be split into 2 singles, fitted cupboards, an east-facing window and French windows opening onto a terrace with a table and 4 armchairs. An en-suite (Bathroom 1) has a bath and a hand-held shower, a bidet and a W.C.
- Bedroom 2 - air-conditioned, with twin beds, fitted cupboards and a window facing west. An en-suite (Bathroom 2) has a bath and a hand-held shower, a bidet, and a W.C.
- Studio room - with a sofa that converts into comfortable queen-size bed, plenty of cupboard and drawer space, an east-facing window and French windows opening onto a terrace with a table, 2 chairs and a sun umbrella.
- En-suite Shower Room 2 - with a shower and a W.C.
Garden & Grounds
La Marmotte stands in a most attractive garden of 2000 square metres (half an acre), accessed from the road leading to St Paul. High fences and hedges on 3 sides ensure a great feeling of privacy and security whilst the south side overlooks the beautiful valley of La Colle, with marvellous views of the Mediterranean in the middle distance.
The garden is full of colour and fragrance, landscaped with roses, lavender, azaleas and other flowering shrubs, plus cypresses, lemon, olive and even banana trees.
The Villa also boasts a lush lawn surrounding the lovely swimming pool, measuring 9 x 3 metres, with a maximum depth of 1.8 metres and Roman steps at one end. It has a slightly saline content (approximately the strength of human tears) to avoid the use of chlorine and to help keep the water crystal clear. There are 6 sun beds.
La Marmotte is tucked into the landscape below the renowned ‘village perché’ (hill-top village) of St Paul de Vence in the heart of the Côte d'Azur. Known as the “jewel of the Nice countryside", St Paul attracts many tourists in high season and boasts La Colombe d'Or hotel and restaurant, whose walls are packed with original works by famous ‘local’ artists including Chagall, Dufy, Matisse, Picasso and Bonnard - the impoverished young artists sometimes exchanged their paintings for a square meal!
La Marmotte is also a few minutes' drive from the village of La Colle-sur-Loup which has very useful shopping facilities. There are many restaurants in the vicinity, in various price ranges, many of which are listed in both the Michelin and other gastronomic guidebooks. Nearby, for instance, is a 2-star Michelin restaurant, "Alain Lorca".
The Villa is 8 kms west of Nice and 15 minutes' drive from its international airport. The superfast TGV train stops at Nice and the nearest junction to the A8 autoroute is just 4 Kms away.
- Tenants will be met on arrival, shown how everything works and given the code for the entrance gates.
- The caretaker and cleaner is Katherina Bukjak who is employed by the owner for 4 hours on one mid-week day in addition to changing the bed linen and towels once a week and carrying out the general clean at the end of each tenancy. She is also very willing to wash and iron tenants' clothes (off the premises), and will charge €12 per hour for any additional hours of cleaning work, or for any other tasks undertaken at the tenants' request.
- Katherina's husband, Andrzej, is employed by the owner to look after the swimming pool and the garden.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided free of charge.
- There is a portable house telephone which can be used anywhere on the property. There is also Broadband/WiFi internet access.
- There are fans in Bedrooms 1 and 2, as well as in the Cottage.
- There is a cot, with its mattress and bedding.
- There is a clothes-washing machine, an iron and an ironing board.
- This is very much an all-year-round house and is, therefore, centrally heated throughout. Wood fires can be lit in the sitting room and Andrzej will replenish the logs as required.
- The house manual is very detailed, and as well as describing how everything works (both inside and out), it lists a doctor, a dentist, an electrician, a plumber and the pool contractor, plus other emergency and useful numbers.
Things to See & Do near La Marmotte
- The very useful house manual contains information (and brochures) on local events, festivals, concerts and sporting activities along with details of when and where local markets take place. There is also a list of recommended restaurants in various price ranges, plus hints on what and where to buy the local specialities.
- On the road to St. Paul (and 3 minutes' drive from the Villa) is a comfortable, reasonably priced, modern hotel called "Les Vergers de St. Paul" which can cope with any overflow from La Marmotte, although an advance booking is essential. Tel No: 00 33 4 93 32 94 24 (or 04 93 32 94 24 if calling from France).
- There are 4 outdoor tennis courts in the La Colle-sur-Loup. Booking instructions are given in the house manual.
- La Marmotte is surrounded by golf clubs, 3 of the closest 18-hole courses being Opio-Valbonne (15 minutes' drive), Biot (20 minutes), and Royal Mougins (30 minutes).
- There are countless beaches up and down the coast to explore, the nearest being at Cagnes-sur-Mer (about 3 kms down the hill in front of the Villa). La Neptune on this beach has a bar and a restaurant, plus sun beds, sun umbrellas etc.
- Cagnes-sur-Mer has a race course which holds meetings, mainly trotting, throughout July and August.
- Many of the world-renowned scent factories in Grasse encourage visits and on-the-spot purchases, as do the glass-makers in Biot.
- One of France's most important modern art museums is the nearby Fondation Maeght. The chapel in Vence, which Matisse designed and decorated, is also not to be missed.
- There are a vast number of cultural attractions throughout the Côte d'Azur - Nice, for instance, has more museums and art galleries than any French city other than Paris and also has an Opera House, as well as hosting many other musical events.
- There are a number of semi-tropical gardens on the Côte d'Azur that are open to the public. Particularly recommended is the Ephrussi at St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, a Rothschild villa and garden.
- Two events of world importance each year are the Cannes Film Festival (mid-May) and, in the Film Festival's last week, the Monaco Grand Prix (motor racing, of course!).
Rents & Terms
2021 Rents and Terms
May, June & September
£2,300 per week
July & August
£2,500 per week
All other available months
£2,150 per week
Unless otherwise agreed, all lets (excluding those at Easter and Christmas) will be for a minimum of 1 week, and will begin and end on a Saturday.
Tenants should arrive between 4 pm and 6 pm on the commencement day, and should leave before 10 am on the agreed day of departure.
A deposit of 25% of the rent will be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the Rental Agreement, with the 75% balance to be paid 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the tenancy.
A Booking and Security Deposit of £350 will also be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing this Rental Agreement. This will secure the booking and will cover: (a) the cost of calls made on the house telephone during the tenancy, (b) the cost of replacing/making good any losses, breakages and/or damages incurred during the rental, and (c) any exceptional cleaning work which may be required at the end of the tenancy. It will be refunded (less any deductions as outlined above) within 4 weeks of the tenancy's conclusion.
Unless otherwise agreed, there shall not be more than 6 people staying at La Marmotte at any one time.
Tenants should advise Anglo French Properties Ltd at the end of each rental of any losses, breakages or damages. This is in lieu of an inventory.
The owner's insurance policy requires that all exterior doors are locked, that all windows and shutters are closed, and that the house alarm is set whenever tenants are away from the property.
South West France, Provence and the Cote d'Azur
Our luxury Villas and Châteaux in South West France, set in stunning and tranquil locations, turn the dream of "get away from it all" holidays into a reality.
For luxury Villa holidays in Provence and the Côte d'Azur, our selection comprises charming properties surrounded by stunning scenery.
Holiday in one of our luxury Italian properties