- Sleeps: 12
- Bedrooms: 4 doubles, 2 twins
- Bath/Shower Rooms: 2 bathrooms, 2 shower rooms
- Rent per week: €3,297 - €5,470
- Key features: Chateau style
11 x 5.5 metre pool
Fabulous pool house
Join the newsletter
By signing up to our email newsletter, you agree to Anglo French Properties Ltd sending you an approximately quarterly newsletter, and where applicable current offers/promotions. Your email data will be shared with our 3rd party email marketing provider for this purpose
At the heart of the delightful, rural Lot-et-Garonne region of South West France, Le Buzard is framed by its pointed, tiled towers in the style of a charming small chateau. The House is elegantly furnished throughout, very comfortable and includes a massive, well-equipped Pool House which provides a wonderfully convivial setting for families and friends by day and for evening barbecues.
''We have very fond memories of our weeks stay at Le Buzard in the summer. We went there to celebrate my father's 70th birthday with seven adults and four young children. Le Buzard is a charming Chateau with a great deal of character and it had plenty of space for us all. We had a very comfortable stay, enjoying the beautiful grounds whether relaxing around the fabulous pool and pool house or playing boules in the large garden.
On a couple of cloudy days we visited some amazing local markets and vineyards.
We also very much enjoyed meeting the housekeeper's herd of goats down the road, while collecting some milk for our breakfast!
The stay was made even more relaxing by having Edith cook for us on several evenings. We all throroughly enjoyed her food, including the children. It was a great treat.
All in all, we had a wonderful holiday and would love to return, but perhaps for two weeks next time!''
Sarah Viney, Salisbury, UK
"We really enjoyed Le Buzard, the House itself and the quiet of its surroundings. Its owner has created a very relaxing home."
Nicolas Marcoux, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
"We have been recommending you to a number of our friends as we were so impressed with the quality of your service, not least the clarity and honesty of your description of wonderful Le Buzard. We hope to be booking with you next year."
Mark & Catherine, Bayswater, London W2, England
"We've just returned home, having had a wonderful fortnight at "Le Buzard". The house worked perfectly, and we thought that the layout of the pool and its pool house was absolutely marvellous. It was all so attractive, with stunning views over the surrounding countryside. Martine (the caretaker and cleaner) was a gem - and so helpful. As you know, she owns a herd of alpine goats fairly near Le Buzard - the most beautiful and well-behaved I've ever known! She took the children to watch them being milked, and also brought us vast quantities of milk. So kind!"
Jane McCrum, Dulwich, London, England
"We had such a wonderful time. The house is utterly gorgeous, we became experts at petanqe (boules), and Martine and Edith looked after us brilliantly! Le Buzard is a true gem and we were utterly delighted by it in every way.
Brigitte Randolph, Hong Kong
From a quiet country lane, a long private drive leads to this distinctive and elegant House, set on a gently sloping hill with splendid views over the surrounding countryside. Whilst the owners of Le Buzard live abroad, they stay here themselves at various times of the year which is reflected by the fact that the property is equipped with everything necessary for an enjoyable and relaxing holiday.
- Entrance Hall – large and welcoming, with a sofa and armchair.
- Sitting Room – bright and comfortable with soft sofas and armchairs, windows on 2 sides and a high beamed ceiling.
- TV Room – with windows on 2 sides, a sofa and armchairs, TV, DVD player, CD/tape player/radio and iPod dock.
- Dining Room – elegant, with windows on 2 sides, a fireplace and a table seating 10.
- Kitchen – large farmhouse-style room with beamed ceiling, tiled floor, an exposed stone wall and breakfast table seating 8. Equipped with a gas cooker and 4 hobs, an oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, blender, toaster, electric kettle etc.
- Bedroom 1 - with a double bed and windows on 2 sides.
- Bathroom 1 - with a bath and W.C. The washing machine is also in this room.
Stairs ascend from the Entrance Hall to a large Landing on the First Floor, off which are:
- Bedrooms 2 & 3 - at each end of the First Floor corridor is a charming ‘tower bedroom’ with a contemporary four-poster double bed and windows on 2 sides.
- Bedroom 4 - the large Master Bedroom with an antique bed and windows on 2 sides.
- Bedroom 5 - with twin beds and windows on 2 sides, & 3 children's cots.
- Bedroom 6 - with twin beds and a window on one side.
- Bathroom 2 – very large, with a smooth wood floor and a beamed ceiling, a deep bath, built-in washbasin, bidet and a W.C.
- Shower Room - with a shower and W.C.
Alongside the swimming pool, a fabulous Pool House provides a huge, well-equipped space for relaxation and recreation.
- Sitting Room/Dining Area – open plan, with high raftered ceilings, wicker sofas and armchairs, a dining table, a substantial fireplace and CD/tape player/radio.
- Kitchenette - with a gas cooker, an oven and 2 fridges/freezers.
- Shower Room - with a shower and W.C.
- Mezzanine – a wooden staircase ascends to a spacious Minstrel’s Gallery overlooking the Sitting/Dining Area.
Stairs ascend from the other side of the main Sitting/Dining Area to a further Sitting Area overlooking the Pool with wicker sofas and chairs, and a table tennis table. Next door is a portable barbecue.
Garden & Grounds
Le Buzard is set in a large, well-tended garden with mature trees and shrubs and fabulous views over rolling fields of sunflowers and other crops.
At the rear of the House and facing east, a paved terrace near the kitchen provides a perfect setting for eating outdoors, shaded by trees and with far-reaching views.
A few steps lead from the main garden, through a gate, into the paved pool area with a good range of pool furniture and an outdoors, solar-heated shower. The filtered swimming pool measures 11 x 5.5 metres, with a depth of 1 metre at one end, shelving to 2.25 metres at the other, and with a diving board. It is sheltered by low walls, fragrant lavender bushes and the Pool House itself, which also provides shade along one side. The pool can be floodlit and has an electrically operated cover which should be closed at night for safety's sake and to retain the water temperature.
Le Buzard is situated in the stunning region of South West France between the Dordogne, the Garonne and the Lot rivers, at the very heart of an unspoilt landscape of rolling fields and wooded hills. This is superb soft fruit and nut country, with plums and walnuts featuring in its many local gastronomic specialities and liqueurs.
Although not at the centre of a wine-making region, Le Buzard is surrounded by the vineyards of Bergerac, Monbazillac, Cahors, Duras and Marmande. The hills and valleys are also studded with 12th to 14th century ‘bastides’ (fortified towns and villages), medieval churches and picturesque châteaux.
Le Buzard is near the village of Ségalas and about 7 kms from Monbahus which has useful shopping facilities. The house is a similar distance from Lauzun which has a 'traiteur' (delicatessen/caterer) with an excellent range of cold 'starters' and ready-to-heat main courses. It is 14 kms south west of the small ‘bastide’ town of Castillonnès which also has a 'traiteur' plus a good market, whilst Villeréal (20 kms) has a 'traiteur' which may be prepared to deliver pre-ordered meals. The property is 30 kms north west of Villeneuve-sur-Lot and 40 kms south of Bergerac. The nearest large supermarket is at Eymet (15 kms).
Le Buzard is approximately 35 kms north east of the Marmande junction (exit 5) on the Autoroute des Deux Mers (the A 62). It is 40 kms south of Bergerac airport (called Roumanière, which has some international flights) and 140 kms east of Bordeaux International Airport (called Mérignac). The superfast TGV train stops at Agen (40 kms) and a car train service also runs from Bordeaux.
- Le Buzard's caretaker, Martine d'Halluin, lives within 300 metres of the House, and can be relied upon to give whatever assistance or advice is required (although her English is not very good!). She will meet tenants on arrival at the House and lock up at the end of their stay.
- The cleaning lady (who is likely to be Martine or one of her daughters) will work at Le Buzard for two hours per day on two days per week, all of which are included in the rent. Any agreed additional hours of work should be paid direct by tenants to the cleaner/s at €14 per hour.
- If required, and given sufficient notice, a cook can probably be found for one or more dinners and/or lunches. His/her wage would be the tenants' responsibility and could be established prior to the commencement of the tenancy. If requested, a "Welcome Pack" the fridge will be provided, awaiting tenants' arrival.
- In addition, there are 'traiteurs' (delicatessens/caterers) in Lauzun, Castillonnès and Villeréal. All will prepare dishes to order (ready-to-heat or to be eaten cold) and some may also deliver to Le Buzard.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided free of charge, and will be changed on a weekly basis.
- There is Broadband/WiFi internet access.
- There are 2 baby's cots and two high chairs, one with its own tray and one without.
- There is a fan in each Bedroom.
- In the Sitting Room are useful telephone numbers (doctors, dentists, etc), instructions regarding the House and grounds, as well as lots of brochures and information re: local markets and shops (including several that sell everything from antiques to bric-a-brac), supermarkets, fairs, cultural events and much more.
- The House has a reasonable selection of board games.
- There is a portable barbecue in the Pool House.
Things to See & Do near Le Buzard
- wMany local villages and towns have excellent markets, and a different one could be visited on virtually every day for a fortnight. Details are provided in the house information folder.
- From Le Buzard there are wonderful walks in all directions.
- Bicycles can be hired at Castillonnès to explore the local countryside.
- There are nearby riding stables, as well as swimming, trout fishing and sailing on several local lakes.
- 25 kms to the north is the spectacular Chateau de Monbazillac, built in 1550, and which apart from its well-known eponymous wine, offers guided tours. Nearby are 2 excellent restaurants - "La Grappe d'Or" and "La Tour des Vents".
- There are a number of other good restaurants in the area in various price ranges. Specially recommended are "Chez Alain" in Issigeac, "Auberge Lou Calel" in Villeneuve-sur-Lot, "Le Moulin de Malfourat" in Monbazillac, and "Le Villa Laetitia" in the historic old town of Bergerac. Details are in the information folder.
- There is a Go-Cart circuit near Bergerac airport.
- There are tennis courts at Lauzun (7 kms), as well as at Castillonnès (14 kms). Arrangements to play on these courts can be made through the Syndicat d'Initiative's offices in either Lauzun or Castillonnès. Telephone numbers are in the information folder.
- There are several 9 and 18-hole golf courses in the vicinity, including one near Cancon (Golf de Castelnaud) and another near Tombeboeuf (both 20 minutes), as well as courses near Agen, Marmande and Casteljaloux, plus a challenging 18-hole course near Villeneuve-sur-Lot. In addition, there's an 18-hole course at Château des Vigiers (12 kms north east of Duras), together with its 4-star hotel, restaurants, swimming pool, tennis courts and lake fishing.
- There is excellent canoeing for all ages on the Dordogne river between Cénac and Limeuil. There are several stages, each taking a few hours, and the canoe-hire company (there is one, for instance, at Siorac-en-Périgord) will pick you up at the end of your chosen stage/s and return you to your car.
- There is an excellent garden centre just outside Marmande.
Rents & Terms
2021 Rents and Terms
June & September
€3,297 per week
July & August
€5,470 per week
Unless otherwise agreed, all lets will be for a minimum of 1 week, and will begin and end on a Saturday.
A deposit of 25% of the rent will be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the rental agreement, with the 75% balance to be paid 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the tenancy.
A Booking and Security Deposit of €600 will be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the rental agreement. This will secure the booking and will cover the cost of any telephone calls made on the house telephone, together with the cost of replacing/making good any losses, breakages and/or damages incurred during it, plus any exceptional cleaning work which may be required at the end of the tenancy. It will be refunded (less any stipulated deductions) within 4 weeks of its conclusion.
There should not be more than 12 people including children and babies staying in the House at any one time other than by prior agreement.
Fires cannot be lit in any of the house fireplaces as all 3 chimneys are blocked.
It is requested that pool lights as well as all other outside lights are switched off before going to bed. It is also requested that the sun umbrellas are closed at night and in windy conditions to avoid damage.
The pool sweep must not be removed from the water as this is likely to damage it.
Should rain look likely, tenants are requested to place in the Pool House those chairs with canvas backs/seats.
Tenants should advise the caretaker before departure of any losses, breakages and/or damages, this being in lieu of an inventory.
The garden and swimming pool maintenance are the owner's responsibility.
South West France, Provence and the Cote d'Azur
Our luxury Villas and Châteaux in South West France, set in stunning and tranquil locations, turn the dream of "get away from it all" holidays into a reality.
For luxury Villa holidays in Provence, our selection comprises charming properties surrounded by the stunning scenery of the Luberon and Var.
For a multi-faceted holiday in the South of France, our luxury Côte d’Azur Villas are within easy reach of fabulous beaches, Monte Carlo, Nice, Antibes and Cannes, and the many other attractions of this famous coastline.