- Sleeps: 10
- Bedrooms: 5 x double/twins
Rooms: 2 bathrooms, 3 shower rooms
- Rent per week: £3,100 - £3,700
- Key features:9 x 4 metre pool
1.5 acres of garden
4.5 kms from Lorgues
Join the newsletter
By signing up to our email newsletter, you agree to Anglo French Properties Ltd sending you an approximately quarterly newsletter, and where applicable current offers/promotions. Your email data will be shared with our 3rd party email marketing provider for this purpose
Le Clos de Gavarron
Le Clos de Gavarron is a most attractive Villa in Provence, just 5-minutes drive from the charming medieval town of Lorgues. The Villa has been beautifully furnished and is very comfortable, while the attractive gardens and pool area are ideal for relaxing, dining al alfresco or snuggling by a wood fire in the open-sided 'salon' beside the pool.
"We have just returned from a wonderful week in Le Clos de Gavarron with three generations of the family. The house, pool and gardens were ideal for a relaxing family holiday in the beautiful Provence countryside. Thanks to you and also to the very helpful owners for ensuring that our stay went so smoothly.
Nigel Clough. Lincolnshire. England.
"Le Clos de Gavarron provided a superb and tranquil location for our family holiday. The house is obviously very much enjoyed by its owners, and is decorated and furnished to a standard that reflects their love for the property. Its outdoor amenities meant we spent long, glorious days by the pool, with the occasional 'boules' tournament the only interruption to complete peace and quiet. We would have no hesitation in recommending 'Le Clos' to anyone looking for a truly relaxing family holiday."
Tony Mundin, Nottingham, England.
Le Clos de Gavarron is a charming, much-loved family Villa which has been completely renovated by its present owners with great taste and attention to detail.
- Entrance hall – grand and spacious, with marble pillars framing the staircase to the master bedroom and with underfloor heating.
- Salon – down a few steps and through archways on either side of the entrance hall, this spacious, elegant living room includes comfortable sofas, an 18th century working fireplace, underfloor heating and a pair of large French windows leading to the terrace. There is a stereo system comprising a radio and a CD player, plus a good collection of CDs.
- Sitting Room/Dining Room - with an 18th century working fireplace, satellite TV, DVD player, iPod dock, an electric organ, a dining table which seats 10 and French doors onto a tiled dining terrace.
- Mezzanine – accessed by stairs from the sitting room and comprising a sofa, a TV for watching videos and DVD’s, with a large collection provided and a desk with a printer and WiFi/Broadband internet connection.
- Kitchen – located off the sitting/dining room with air conditioning and doors to the parking area. The kitchen is also well equipped with a 4-hob gas burner, 2 electric ovens, a microwave, a toaster, a dishwasher etc. There is a small deep-freeze in a cupboard at the kitchen end of the sitting room and a large deep freeze in a store room which can be accessed on request.
- Cloakroom with a W.C.
- Laundry cupboard – comprising a washing machine, separate tumble dryer and a butler's sink.
- Bedroom 1 - with two 3' 3" beds which can be made into a double and a window overlooking the terrace and the garden. An ensuite (Shower Room 1) has a shower, and W.C.
- Bedroom 2 - with two 3' beds which can be made into a double and a window overlooking the terrace and the garden.
- Bedroom 3 - with two 3' 3" beds which can be made into a double and a window overlooking a fountain and the 'boules' pitch. An ensuite (Shower Room 2) has a shower and W.C.
- Bathroom 1 - with a bath and a W.C.
- Bedroom 4 – the luxurious master bedroom with a 6' 6" bed which can be split into 2 single beds and windows on 2 sides. An ensuite (Bathroom 2) has a bath, a separate shower and a W.C. Both have underfloor heating
- Bedroom 5 – located on one side of the pool, with two 3' 3" beds which can be made into a double. An ensuite (Shower Room 3) has a shower and W.C.
- Summer Kitchen/Dining Room – alongside the pool and shaded by a retractable electric blind. This striking feature comprises a table seating 10, a 2-hob electric cooker, a combination microwave/oven, 2 fridges, an ice-maker, a dishwasher and a full range of plates, cutlery, glasses etc.
Garden & Grounds
Le Clos de Gavarron provides beautiful outdoor settings in the 6000 square metres (1.5 acres) of grounds, with charming dining terraces, an attractive terraced garden and a paved pool area, all designed to maximise the enjoyment of Provençal sunshine and starry nights.
Opening off the sitting/dining room, a delightful dining terrace comprises a table seating 10 under a jasmine-covered pergola. At the other end of this terrace is a swing sofa, surrounded by comfortable chairs and a marble-topped table.
The terraced garden has an olive grove, a rose-covered gazebo with a table and chairs, a pergola and several other seating areas and a variety of trees and flowering shrubs.
On the north east side of the Villa is a floodlit 'boules' pitch, with a swing sofa, chairs and a table. (The 'boules' are kept in the house). There's also a table tennis table.
The filtered, alarmed swimming pool has wide Roman steps and measures 9 x 4 metres. It is 95 cms at the shallow end and 1.6 metres at the deep end so being relatively shallow, diving it not permitted. The pool is slightly saline, (approximately the strength of human tears), thus avoiding the use of chlorine and helping to keep the water crystal clear. The pool is surrounded by 10 sun beds, directors' chairs and parasols and enclosed by a hedge of white oleander.
Close to the pool area, a sheltered 'Summer Salon' has comfortable seating and a wood-burning fireplace which can be used for barbecuing. There is also a gas fired barbecue-on-wheels (which can be moved to any of the dining terraces) and a fresh-water poolside shower.
From the country road linking the village of Taradeau with the small town of Lorgues, a 200 metre lane leads to the electronically-operated entrance gates of Le Clos de Gavarron. The villa stands on a slope, facing south west and is surrounded by the stunning wooded hills, valleys, vineyards and olive groves of the central Var region of Provence.
Le Clos is 4.5 kms (5 minutes' drive) from the pretty, medieval town of Lorgues, with the longest avenue of plane trees in France, a wonderful weekly market, good shopping and a choice of restaurants. The Michelin-starred Bruno’s, on the road to Lorgues, is renowned for its truffle specialities.
The villa is 45 minutes from spectacular Aix-en-Provence which, quite apart from its numerous museums and art galleries, hosts some of the most important musical events in France.
Le Clos is only 40 minutes from Toulon (Hyères) airport which has some international flights, whilst Nice and Marseilles international airports (the latter called 'Marignane') are 50 minutes and an hour's drive respectively. The super-fast train, the TGV, stops at Aix TGV station (between Aix-en-Provence and Marseilles), although some trains continue, rather more slowly, to Draguignan/ Les Arcs (about 10 kms from the house). Eurostar trains stop at Avignon (90 minutes' drive), whilst the nearest entry to the autoroute system is 15 minutes away.
- Marilyn Gool, who is English, will meet tenants on arrival and show them round the Villa and grounds. She will demonstrate how everything works and provide the codes for the alarm systems and the entrance gates.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided free of charge and will be changed on a weekly basis.
- This is very much a year-round Villa, with an efficient heating system, (including underfloor heating), working fireplaces, air-conditioning in the kitchen and ceiling and freestanding fans.
- In addition to changing the bath and pool towels and the bed linen every Saturday, the rent includes 2 hours cleaning mid week. Any additional hours of work can be arranged with Marilyn, and will be charged at €14 per hour. The gardener and the pool maintenance man are paid by the owners.
- As long as sufficient notice is given, a babysitter and/or a part-time professional cook can probably be found. His/her/their wage/s will be the tenants' responsibility and, if requested, will be ascertained prior to the commencement of the tenancy. Airport collections (by an English-speaking driver with a 7-seater vehicle) can also be arranged.
- There are several telephones, as well as a WiFi/Broadband internet connection.
- There is an iron and an ironing board.
- There are two cots (both with mattresses and bed linen) and a high chair.
- There are masses of English and French-language books, as well as board games, playing cards and children's toys and games, including a baby swing and a hammock.
- The house folder is very helpful, explaining how everything works and with contact details for a doctor, dentist, electrician and plumber, plus other emergency and useful numbers.
Things to See & Do near Le Clos de Gavarron
- The Villa has 3 adult bicycles (which should be put away at night). Additional adult or children's bikes can be hired in Lorgues - more information is in the house folder.
- There are many restaurants in the area, in different price ranges, with details and descriptions of a selection in the house folder.
- The tennis club in Lorgues has 4 outdoor and 2 indoor courts. Booking information can be found in the house folder.
- There are a number of reasonable-to-outstanding 18-hole golf courses within 30 kms. Arguably the best are St Endréol and Barbaroux. Details of these and of several others are in the house folder.
- Local fairs and festivals, including concerts at the nearby Abbaye du Thoronet, take place throughout the summer. See the house folder, and/or visit the very helpful Tourist Office in Lorgues.
- There are details in the house folder of nearby riding stables, offering everything from lessons to trekking in the surrounding countryside.
- There are excellent walks in several directions. A 30 minutes' walk, with a built-in exercise programme, circles the church at nearby St Ferréol. See the house folder.
- There are many stunning towns and villages in the vicinity to explore including the following, to name but a few. Entrecasteaux boasts a marvellous Château and gardens designed by Le Nôtre in the 17th century who also laid out those at Versailles. Tourtour, is known as "the village in the sky" whilst Aups, the gateway to the Haut Var, is said to be the truffle capital of France. Salernes has numerous pottery shops and an excellent (but small) Sunday market.
- Markets take place virtually every day of the week with details of where and when in the House Folder. Local pottery and Provençal fabrics are very popular.
- Although the Mediterranean beaches of Cavalaire, St Tropez and Cannes are about an hour's drive out of peak season, the journey can take considerably longer in summer. Alternative - and frequently quicker - routes are shown in the house folder. Ste Maxime is relatively easy to reach even in the busiest months and details of its beach bars and restaurants can be found in the house folder.
- Vineyards surround Le Clos, producing red, white and rosé wines – chilled rosé being a speciality of Provence. Many offer tastings and on-the-spot purchases, whilst the excellent Maison des Vins at Les Arcs sells a comprehensive selection of the region's best wines.
- A nearby lavender farm makes and sells lavender essence and related products. There are also nougat and honey producers in the vicinity.
- There are a number of children's adventure playgrounds and zoos in the area, including one near Vidauban which provides a range of activities for all ages from 3 to the early 20's. Details of these, as well as of quad-biking for older children, are in the House Folder.
- There is swimming, sailing and windsurfing on the Lac de Ste Croix, whilst the spectacular Gorges du Verdon offer gentle-to-more-exhilarating rafting, canyoning, kayaking and canoeing (both 50 kms).
Rents & Terms
2021 Rents & Terms
May, June & September
July & August
£3,700 per week
N.B. The second and any further weeks of a booking of 2 weeks or more in all the above months will qualify for a 5% discount in the above rents.
Unless otherwise agreed, all lets will be for a minimum of 1 week, and will begin and end on a Saturday.
Tenants should arrive between 5 pm and 6 pm on the commencement day, and should leave before 10 am on the agreed day of departure. They will be met on arrival at Le Clos.
A deposit of 25% of the rent will be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the Rental Agreement, with the 75% balance to be paid 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the tenancy.
A Booking and Security Deposit of £500 will also be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing this Rental Agreement. This will secure the booking and will cover: (a) the cost of telephone calls made on the house telephone during the tenancy, (b) the cost of replacing/making good any losses, breakages and/or damages incurred during the rental, and (c) any exceptional cleaning work which may be required at the end of the tenancy. It will be refunded (less any deductions as outlined above) within 4 weeks of the tenancy's conclusion.
There should not be more 10 people (including children and babies) staying at Le Clos de Gavarron at any time.
Tenants should advise Anglo French Properties Ltd at the end of each rental of any losses, breakages or damages. This is in lieu of an inventory.
The owners' insurance policy requires that all exterior doors are locked, that all windows are closed, and that the house alarm is set whenever tenants are away from the property.
Tenants are kindly requested to switch on the pool alarm when the pool is not in use - it is activated by the average weight of a baby (or heavier) entering the water.
South West France, Provence and the Cote d'Azur
Our luxury Villas and Châteaux in South West France, set in stunning and tranquil locations, turn the dream of "get away from it all" holidays into a reality.
For luxury Villa holidays in Provence, our selection comprises charming properties surrounded by the stunning scenery of the Luberon and Var.
For a multi-faceted holiday in the South of France, our luxury Côte d’Azur Villas are within easy reach of fabulous beaches, Monte Carlo, Nice, Antibes and Cannes, and the many other attractions of this famous coastline.