- Sleeps: 22 (16 + 6)
- Bedrooms: Main House - 8 bedrooms sleeping 16 (1 King, 4 doubles and 2 twins with 5 ensuite bathrooms and 2 separate bathrooms).
- Bergerie Cottage - 3 bedrooms sleeping 6 (1 double and two twins with one bathroom).
- Key features: Pyrénéan house of great comfort, style and character
Set in gardens of 10 acres and its own estate of 650 acres
Spacious rooms and bedrooms
Separate 3 bedroom Cottage
Beautiful garden and grounds
Spectacular scenery, situation and views
15m x 7m Swimming Pool and Pool House
Utterly private and peaceful
20 minute drive from Carcassonne
Venue for special occasions
Interested in this property?
Make an online booking enquiry
or email us on:
Join the newsletter
By signing up to our email newsletter, you agree to Anglo French Properties Ltd sending you an approximately quarterly newsletter, and where applicable current offers/promotions. Your email data will be shared with our 3rd party email marketing provider for this purpose
To request the full length video or for more details please email Anglo French Properties or telephone +44 (0) 1258 817 110
Domaine de Montahut
In the foothills of the Pyrénées only a short drive South from Carcassonne Domaine de Montahut is reached at the end of a long private drive set in its own 650 acre Estate.
Less than an hour from the Mediterranean it is situated one of the most beautiful and authentic regions of France. Spectacular views from the estate stretch out to The Corbières over olive groves, pine forest, lavender covered hillsides and vineyards. Total privacy and rural peace, a great sense of light and space yet with access to everything that this very special region of France offers.
The house and cottage (Bergerie) sleeps up to 22 in 11 bedrooms split between the main house (8 bedrooms) and Bergerie (3 bedrooms)
Depending on availability and in off peak season the house or The Bergerie may be let for a lesser rent for a specified/agreed reduced number of guests. (See ‘Rents and Terms’ below).
A long private drive leads through the estate to the main house.
There is ample space for parking beside house and gardens.
Internally, on the ground floor, the house comprises an Entrance Hall, Kitchen, Back Kitchen and Utility Room, Dining Room and two Drawing/Sitting Rooms. From the North side access flows outside into the gardens and pool and on the South side to the entrance courtyard.
The upper floors consist of 8 bedrooms with 5 ensuite bathrooms and 2 separate bathrooms.
The Cottage/Bergerie consists of a kitchen, bathroom, sitting room and 3 bedrooms.
In all there is accommodation for 22 (plus babies) in the main House and cottage.
There is generous fitted cupboard and hanging space in all bedrooms.
This is an all year round house with central heating throughout.
There is no air conditioning but fans are available in all bedrooms. Being of traditional construction the house stays relatively cool in summer.
Double front doors from the courtyard lead into a spacious:
Entrance Hall: Running the full width of the house with doors on the Northern side out to the gardens. From the entrance hall stairs lead to the first floor and doors to right and left lead to the Kitchen and Drawing room respectively.
Kitchen: A large light, well equipped kitchen with beamed ceiling again runs the full width of the house. Doors each end lead straight out to courtyard and gardens each side. There is a large woodburning fireplace on one side of the kitchen, a sink and base units along the Northern end and wall and base units on the other side of the kitchen into which is fitted a large gas fired Chateau Cornue cooker with ovens under. There is also a dishwasher and drinks fridge. A large wooden kitchen table and chairs run down the centre of the room. Doors on the East side of the kitchen lead to the Back Kitchen and utility room on one (Southern) side and a dining room on to a boot room on the other (Northern) side.
Back kitchen: Immediately adjoins the main kitchen and contains a large American style fridge/freezer and another dishwasher plus further units for storage.
The Utility Room contains another fridge and in the corner of this room is a WC with washbasin.
The Dining Room also immediately adjoining the kitchen, very much a traditional dining room with antique table and chairs, side board and French doors and windows giving natural light and access to the courtyard. A door from the far end of the dining room leads on into:
The Boot Room from which a back door leads out to the courtyard, back stairs lead to the first floor and an internal door leads through to the utility room.
The Drawing Room: A spacious, light and very comfortable room with three sofas and a large traditional open fireplace. Two sets of French doors give wonderful natural light and access out to the gardens on the Northern side. A doorway and steps lead down to a second:
Drawing Room/Cinema room: This is a smaller more intimate room with two comfortable sofas and a smaller woodburning fireplace. In this room a cinema screen neatly rolls up into the ceiling and can be drawn down to turn this into a small cinema.
Stairs from the entrance hall lead up to handsome landing/gallery on the:
First Floor: on which there are 5 double bedrooms, two twin bedrooms, 5 ensuite bathrooms and 2 separate bathrooms arranged as follows:
The Master Bedroom 1: forming part of The Provençal Suite. This is the largest and most luxurious suite enjoying stunning views to the hills. Attractive natural flagstone floors and magnificent original beams in this large room are the setting for a superb custom made, larger than superking four poster bed.
Its Ensuite Bathroom 1: features a bath, walk in jetted shower, twin washbasins and a WC. Two large arched doorways lead out and down to the swimming pool.
Bedroom 2: Forms part of The Mulberry Suite. Terracotta coloured walls contrast with antique furniture and light coloured flagstone floors and a magnificent 17th Century four poster double bed. Views to the South side of the house, over Olive trees and the lake beyond.
Ensuite Bathroom 2 with bath/shower, washbasin and WC.
Bedroom 3: Forms part of The Palomb Suite. With a Quuen size double bed. Looks out over The Domaine’s gardens and to the hills and Pyrénées. The room leads into one of the house turrets, a secluded setting for a morning coffee. A small set of steps leads to:
Ensuite Bathroom 3 with bath/shower, washbasin and WC.
Bedroom 4: Forms part of The Robin Suite. With coral coloured walls, large double bed and views over the court yard, lake and estate. Steps descend to Ensuite Bathroom 4 with sink, WC and bath.
Bedroom 5: Forms part of The Citron Suite. Light, bright and sunny with double bed and views to the gardens, hills and Pyrénées. Steps lead to Ensuite Bathroom 5 with bath, washbasin and WC.
Bedroom 6: The Juniper Room. Smallest of the double rooms. Its Bathroom 6 is located just across the corridor with bath, washbasin and WC.
Bedroom 7: The Rosemary Room. With gentle pastel blue walls and twin single beds. Its Bathroom 7 with bath, washbasin and washbasin is located across the corridor and is shared with Bedroom 8 (The Bluebird Room)
Bedroom 8: The Bluebird Room. With two single beds this is a favourite for children on the highest floor. It has a TV and play area. It shares Bathroom 7 with the Rosemary Room.
The Bergerie Cottage
More simple in style and smaller The Bergerie can be rented as part of the main house for large groups or on its own during the lower seasons.
Outside it has its own little courtyard which provides a separate outside dining area with a barbecue and a degree of privacy if desired from the main house. A tranquil spot for breakfast in the early morning sun.
Inside (on a single storey) is a fully equipped Kitchen, Living room, Double Bedroom 9, and Twin Bedroom 10.
Separate, and accessed across a short path is a further twin Bedroom 11.
Garden & Grounds
Domaine de Montahut is surrounded by extensive well maintained gardens and grounds of ten acres within its own estate. Views give way to The Corbières as far as the eye can see across one of the wildest and most unspoilt areas of France, and enjoying all the climatic advantages of the Mediterranean.
A long unmetalled drive through the estate forms the approach past a small gatehouse into a courtyard with ample room for parking under the shade of one of a number of mature trees, themselves a feature of the gardens. The grounds include a lake and the gardens are a blend of lawns, terraced olive groves and mature trees.
There are a number of shaded eating areas and terraces close to the house and around the garden and pool. The large old spreading Cedars of Lebanon and other mature trees can be beautifully floodlit at night.
The alarmed and filtered swimming pool (measuring 15m X 7m, 1.2m at the large shallow end shelving to 2.5m at the deep end) has an inviting pool house at one end equipped with fridge, built in barbecue, dining area and a shower. Generous stone terracing surrounds the pool with sunloungers and parasols. The pool area has a sound system that can be wirelessly connected to any smart phone.
Superb views are enjoyed from the pool and gardens to the hillsides and more distant hills and plains to The Minervois region towards the Mediterranean.
Less than an hour from the Mediterranean and in the foothills of the Pyrenees Domaine Montahut is in The Languedoc Rousillon region of France in the department of Aude. Its closest village is Palaja and it is, remarkably, only 25 minutes drive from the walled city of Carcassonne.
The local hill village of Palaja (10 minutes drive) has basic shopping facilities for groceries including a store selling locally sources fresh fruit, vegetables, cheeses and wine. There is also a bakery, butcher, post office, chemist and tobacconist in Palaja.
There are several large supermarkets in Carcassonne along with its traditional market on Saturdays. Also in Carcassonne a superb shop called La Ferme in the centre which showcases and sells all the very best of high quality local produce.
The closest airports are at Carcassonne (25 minutes,15 miles), Toulouse (1¼ hrs/68 miles), Montpelier (1½ hrs/100 miles) and Perpignan (1 ¼ hrs/74 miles).
The superfast TGV stops at Toulouse and Narbonne with connecting trains to Carcassonne.
- House Information Folder: There is a comprehensiveHouse Information Folder with details of recommended local shops, restaurants, markets, cultural, sporting and recreational activities plus many other suggestions on what to do and where to go in the vicinity. The folder also includes maps, brochures and contact details of local doctors, dentists, plumbers, electricians and services. Further details of all matters referred to on this website are available in The House Information Folder.
- Arrival: Tenants will be met on arrival and shown how everything works, both inside and out.
- Cleaning: 2 hours of cleaning per morning will be carried out on five days per week (Monday to Saturday 10am – 12 noon) and paid for by the owners.
- Additional Housework: Any additional hours of housework should be agreed in advance and paid direct by guests.
- Cooking Services: Provided sufficient notice is given, a part time cook/private chef can be found. His/her wage will be the guest’s responsibility, and can be ascertained in advance should guests wish.
- Mobile Phones: Mobile phone signal is fair but not perfect in every room and WiFi is reliable for mobile phones.
- WIFI/Broadband: There is WiFi broadband internet accessthroughout the main house and Bergerie Cottage, within 20 m of the house and within 20m of the pool house.
- Laundry: There is a washing machine and dryer in the Back kitchen adjoining the main kitchen.
- TV’s and Home Cinema: Satellite TV’s are provided in the Green Drawing/Sitting Room and the Blue Drawing/Sitting Room in the main house and in the sitting room of The Bergerie. There is a home cinema system in The Blue Drawing Room. The TV’s also have DVD systems, PS4 and Netflix. Detailed instructions are all at hand.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels: Are provided free of charge and changed on a weekly basis.
- Garden and Pool Maintenance: The garden, grounds and pool are the responsibility of a gardener who will make the occasional discreet appearance to attend his duties. Grass cutting is normally carried out on Saturdays during the period between guests departing and arriving.
- Heating: It is an all year round house and there is central heating throughout. There are also open fires in the Drawing/Sitting rooms and main kitchen. Logs for the fireplaces are provided.
- Children: There are 3 travel cots for children (with mattresses and waterproof fitted sheets and blankets) and 3 high chairs. In the kitchen there is also colourful cutlery and crockery for young children.
- There is a good selection of games and toys for children.
- There are a number of English language books and and an excellent choice of family board games and playing cards for the use and enjoyment of guests.
Things to See & Do near Domaine de Montahut
- House Information Folder: The comprehensive House Information Folder contains details of recommended local shops, restaurants, markets, cultural, sporting and recreational activities plus many other suggestions on what to do and where to go in the vicinity. The folder also includes additional maps and brochures Further details of all matters referred to on this website are available in The House Information Folder.
- Markets: Normally in full swing by 8am and finished by lunchtime. Carcassonne (Saturdays), Mirepoix (Mondays) and the beautiful covered market at Narbonne (every morning) with arguably the best food market in the region. All excellent and easy to reach.
- Restaurants:The local village restaurants sell good authentic local food and are enjoyable local experiences. There are also a number of higher end restaurants in Carcassonne including the Michelin starred Restaurant du Parc at the foot of the famous Carcassonne citadel. A recommended selection of restaurants are contained in The House Information Folder.
- Bicycling/Bike Hire:This is excellent bicycling country with a wonderful mix of hilly inland rides and more gentle paths alongside its rivers and wine routes. The Tour de France passes very close to the house every year. Road, mountain and even electric bike hire can be arranged in advance.
- Walks/Walking:There are wonderful walks all over the area some starting from Domaine Montahut itself and a massive choice locally.You can follow the footsteps of the ancient Cathars at any point along the splendid ‘sentier Cathare’ which links nine of the Cathars’ famous fortresses through countryside and high mountain ridges.
- Riding: This is one of the best ways to explore the region. A number of local riding schools offer treks tailored to both beginners and more experienced riders. The Domaine has partnered with a local riding school to create unique treks for guests. If interested this does need to be arranged in advance.
- Tennis: There are a choice of tennis courts in the tennis clubs of Carcassonne.
- Golf: There is an 18 hole golf course only 20 minutes away at Domaine d’Auriac surrounded by vineyards and open all year round. Perfectly maintained and offering an exceptional panorama of the local landscape it has an excellent reputation. Clubs and buggies can be hired on site.
- Skiing: During the winter months the Pyrénées offers excellent skiing. Unspoilt and arguably more intimate, family friendly and definitely more affordable than the Alps. The ski resort of Mont d’Olmes is 1 hr 40 mins drive from the house and makes an excellent day trip. The Ax 3 Domaines and Carmurac ski resorts are also within easy reach and have pistes for all levels. Day passes and ski equipment can be rented on site.
- Wildlife: There is much of interest. In May and June cuckoo’s can be heard and often a hoopoe in the garden. Nightingales sing with amour at this time. The frogs strike up a fine chorus in Spring and early summer.
- Music and festivals: During the summer months the region is alive with events ranging from local village festivals and fairs to music concerts. The Festival de Carcassonne in July is established as one of the ten biggest in France and in an unrivalled location in the medieval City. There are over a hundred performances through the month of July including theatre, opera, ballet and music.
- The Carcassonne firework display on 14th July (Bastille Day) is a highlight of the year and visible from miles around.
- Local villages:An abundance of beautiful Southern French villages are scattered across the region. A scenic trip through the Minervoix with its deep gorges and meadows is a lovely day out with perhaps a stop at the beautifully preserved little medieval village of Minerve perched on the side of a cliff and surrounded by a network of cliffs, natural bridges and canyons.More locally the village of Limoux holds popular wine tasting events through the summer.
- Towns and Cities: Carcassonne, world famous for its most impressive medieval citadel, the largest in France, is a must. With its 3kms of ramparts (which can be walked) and its centre, full of restaurants, cafes and shops.
Mirepoix and Narbonne are also a feast of local/regional interest, culture, history, architecture and French life.
Toulouse has many art galleries, museums, world class opera and music, as well as top quality shops and restaurants. Its also renowned for its Space Museum, plus the fascinating tours of the nearby Airbus factory.
- The Cathar Heritage: For which this area is famed. Many of the ruins and fortresses of the wars against the Cathars are visible today some of them perched in the most dramatic locations. Notable examples include Quéribus and Montségur.
- Vineyards and Wine: With 700,000 acres of vineyards the Languedoc is the largest wine producing region in the world and the first region in France to be introduced to winemaking by the Romans.
The Corbières area now produces some outstandingly good value quality wines. Interesting whites and roses are also emerging. The region is also known for its sparkling wines, the precursors in fact to champagne notable of which are ‘Blanquette’ and Crémant de Limoux.
Slightly further afield the Minervoix region is known for its reds and sweet whites.
There are a choice of these vineyards offering tours and inviting on the spot tastings and purchases.
- Beaches: Many may simply be happy to relax by the pool at the house but within 50 minutes you could be in the sunshine of the Mediterranean coast! The Languedoc coastline is rich and varied. Its mix of lovely sandy beaches, marshlands, and rocky outcrops are celebrated by artists and poets. A favourite of the owners is by Biquet Plage at Leucate. Here there is an excellent laid back restaurant selling fresh fish and tapas style platters only a short distance from the sea’s edge. The beaches at Narbonne, Gruissan and Port la Nouvelle are all within easy reach for a day trip.
- Children, sports and adventure: For the more adventurous and those with children there are plenty of activities in the area ranging from go karting in Carcassonne, an acrobatic forest centre with eight courses and nearby Cavayère Lake with its recently opened Aquapark.
On nearby rivers you can also enjoy kayaking, canoeing, rafting, rock climbing and canyoning. For the more extreme thrill seekers tandem skydives can be booked near Lezignan or an afternoon of hotair ballooning or paragliding.
A delightful day can be enjoyed hiring a barge and navigating quietly down the Canal du Midi, interspersed with beautiful bridges and an aqueduct. Those wanting to cycle the same route can do so.
- Tourist Office: There is an excellent tourist office in Carcassonne.
Rents & Terms
2023 Rents and Terms
|29th April to 6th May||€6,300|
|6th May to 13th May||€6,800|
|13th May to 20th May||€6,800|
|20th May to 27th May||€7,400|
|May 27th to June 3rd||€9,500|
|June 3rd to June 10th||€10,500|
|June 10th to June 17th||€11,000|
|June 17th to June 24th||€12,000|
|June 24th to July 1st||€12,600|
|July 1st to July 8th||€15,200|
|July 8th to July 15th||€ 15,200|
|July 15th to July 22nd||€ 15,700|
|July 22nd to July 29th||€ 15,700|
|July 29th to August 5th||€ 15,700|
|August 5th to August 12th||€15,700|
|August 12th - August 19th||€15,200|
|August 19th to August 26th||€15,200|
|August 26th to September 2nd||€ 10,500|
|September 2nd to September 9th||€ 9,500|
|September 9th to September 16th||€ 9,500|
|September 16th to September 23rd||€ 8,400|
|September 23rd to September 30th||€ 6,800|
The following offers are possible depending on availability:
1. The main house on its own (without The Bergerie) for 8 bedrooms and 16 guests.
Alternatively, if the main house is available, the house and Bergeriecottage may be offered on the following basis:
2. Part of the main house only – 5 bedrooms/10 guests or
3. The Bergerie Cottage on its own – 3 bedrooms/6 guests
Rents for any of the alternative offers are negotiable and dependant on availability.
Unless otherwise agreed, all rentals will be for a minimum of one week, and will begin and end on a Saturday.
Tenants should arrive at 4pm or as soon as possible thereafter on the commencement day, and should leave by 10am on the agreed day of departure. They will be welcomed on arrival, given a tour of the property and shown how everything works.
A deposit of 30% of the rent will be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the Rental Agreement, with the 70% balance to be paid 10 weeks prior to the commencement of the let.
A Booking and Security Deposit will be payable to Anglo French Properties Ltd on signing the Rental Agreement. This will secure the booking and will cover the cost of replacing/making good any losses, breakages and/or damages incurred during the rental and any exceptional cleaning work which may be required at the end of the tenancy. It will be refunded (less any deductions as outlined above) within 4 weeks of the conclusion of the tenancy.
Unless otherwise agreed, there should not be more than 22 people (plus babies) staying in the property at any one time. (This will be varied accordingly for just The Bergerie or if only part of the main house is being used).
South West France, Provence and the Cote d'Azur
South West France
Our luxury Villas and Châteaux in South West France, set in stunning and tranquil locations, turn the dream of "get away from it all" holidays into a reality.
Provence and the Côte d'Azur
For luxury Villa holidays in Provence and the Côte d'Azur, our selection comprises charming properties surrounded by stunning scenery.
We encourage you to explore our new and expanding Italian portfolio..